Everyone loves Instagram!
It is pretty
It is easy
If you haven’t jumped on the Instagram Wagon here is a quick tutorial, along with some fun tips and ideas
go to the app store
- download the instagram app
- press sign up
- set up account: email, username, and password
- (I think your username should be your first and last name, no spaces. for example: lisapretto OR if you have a well established business name, use that)
- you will be able to find friends using the contact list, facebook, and twitter account
- hit next
Instagram will give you a suggested list to follow, check it out you might find someone cool and inspiring!
- you will see 5 little icons along the bottom, press the rectangle shaped icon on the far right side.
- go to account and edit your profile
- enter your first and last name, our blog address and a short bio
- Hit Submit
- go back to profile
- change your profile pic: you can upload a picture or use one from your facebook page
- Privacy settings: make sure it is public and not private
Uploading a Photo with Instagram
- when you go to Instagram the middle icon along the bottom is the camera. Click on that and you can take a picture with the camera
- it will open up and you can choose a filter and then click next add your search words with a # before in the description box
- make sure to click twitter which will upload your picture to both instagram and twitter
Here are a couple things to keep in mind when starting out:
One of the things that Instagram will ask when you create a profile is to craft a bio. A bio will tell your audience about your brand. They will want to read up and know a little about your brand before they follow it. Don’t forget to add in links of your website, blog and social media page.
A profile picture is what gives your audience first impressions. It needs to be the best photo of YOU that you can find
As soon as you create a profile on Instagram, start uploading pictures. It is critical to have 5-8 photos up before you start following anybody. They want to see what you are all about before they decide to follow you back. After that, put up 1-2 pictures at a time. The pictures you put up will be your main form of communication with your audience.
Using pictures, you can bring out the human side of your brand by sharing not only your crafting creations but the things that go on in your life and business.
Instagram is also a great storytelling medium. You can tell various stories by just pictures and videos. With Instagram, you can capture expressions, share new ideas, build anticipation for what’s to come and more.
A picture of the stack of boxes from Stampin’Up! is a great beginning to a story.
Always keep your eyes open, you never know when something interesting will pop in front of you.
Don’t hesitate to experiment with your pictures and see your audience’s reactions. This is a great article on creating interesting and engaging photos:
Hashtags are extremely powerful on Instagram. They categorize your pictures and allow Instagram users who are searching for those categories to come across them. By using relevant hashtags, you can capture the attention of your target audience and improve the sharability of your uploads.
#stampinup #handstamped #diy
Don’t just relate the hashtags to your business, but be open and connect it to a variety of things.
#love #blue #hometown
However, it’s important that you don’t overdo the hashtagging. Stick to a maximum of five hashtags.
Instagram is all about interconnecting and if you’re hoping to grow your following, you have to follow others. Don’t just follow people you already know and do what you do, connect with anyone who is putting up interesting content.
You can search Instagram for local businesses, influential people, etc by using the hash tags search function
Facebook owns Instagram and this is an added advantage because every picture you put up can be shared on the social media platform. This is a great way to increase your Facebook activities and put up more pictures instead of just worded posts.
Using Instagram is all about fun
So have fun using it and connecting with your audience.
You can follow me on Instagram at www.instagram.com/lisapretto